3355 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV 89109
Venetian is full of Italian restaurants, but this one stood out for us to try because it was small and intimate. It turned out to be a very enjoyable dining experience, a vegas-sized “street side” intimate dinner. We had simple pasta dishes cooked right and having reasonable prices made it even better. =) The waiter even had an Italian accent. cute! woot.
Featured in the pictures: Complimentary garlic bread rolls, calamari, Spagetti Agli e Olio, Shrimp Scampi
Conclusion: Simple dishes for a decent price with a satisfied stomach.
p.s. We should have been smart like other couples and SPLIT ONE pasta dish, instead of being lil’ piggies and ordering one each. hahahhahaha
Bo Innnovation: X-treme Chinese Cuisine
Shop 13, 2/f, J Residence
60 Johnston Road,
Wan Chai, Hong Kong
(Private lift entrance on 18 Ship Street)
TEL: (852) 2850-8371
Adventures of foreign addressess….. Addresses in foreign countries obviously aren’t written like the ones in the US. So, Bo Innovation is actually off of Johnston St, on a small street called Ship (They didn’t list this “small” detail on their website, but it’s on the business card!), on the 2nd floor.
On hindsight, perhaps it was a bad idea to get the chef’s tasting menu because of our limited stomach space, but I had high hopes of trying a lot because we had traveled so far. We left quite stuffed at the end. So deceiving because everything was so small. Lol. That’s what 15 small plates of food will to ya!
ON WITH THE FOOD!!
Without boring you with the specifics of each dish, you can see the description by scanning through my flickr titles). The only amazing bite was the molecular xiao long bao. It is a membrane filled with the perfect essence of all the flavors of the xiao long bao in juice form. Pop! and wow…. that is a xiao long bao.
CONCLUSION: This was a bit of an underwhelming experience. Everything else was good tasting, but I will not be craving seconds. Also, it was really expensive for the level of un-wow-ness, even expensive for US standards. Maybe, we’ll go back for lunch next time… maybe…
32-40 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong
TEL: (852) 2522-1624
Thanks to my mom for this nommerific recommendation. Though we lost our sense of direction upon getting out of the subway exit and got just a tad bit lost, we were made it. Thank goodness to google maps/iphone compass and some nice people. Ok, done plugging the iphone! woot!)
To some people, they might think Yung Kee is not worth it because it’s way to expensive for the type of food that you get, but I really wanted to try their famous roasted goose. I think our total came out to around to not more than $40 US-ish, and mom and I scarfed down pretty much everything. We’re Chinese. Can’t waste food, right?
1. Thousand Year Egg – very meh. Not anything special in flavor at all
2. Choi sum with crab (real crab!) gravy – Crispy and tender greens with a gooey-seafood-sweet crab gravy-liciousness!! We ate everything and literally scraped the bowl for all the sauce.
3. Braised tofu and black bean scallops – very fresh scallops and smooth tofu. The tofu wasn’t house made but the scallops were very fresh and very tender.
4. Roasted Goose Leg!!! Oh the glorious crispy skin and juicy goose meat. Check out the pictures and I took the close up macro shot of the skin just for our viewing pleasure. Do you see the texture?! Yes!! Glorious. =)
Conclusion: I don’t care if it’s expensive for HK standards. I’m going back!!
Restaurant Vela Latina
Av. Almeida Ribeiro, No. 201
TEL: (853) 2835-6888
(I’m back from my quickie trip to asia! Here’s some updates for ya!)
This was supposed to be fantastic portuguese style food as recommended by a ex-local/macanese. It was just notch above average. Maybe I should have known better because it was located right where all the touristy stuff was (Dai Sam Ba/Da San Ba)
We had the portuguese cod and sausage fried rice, portuguese style chicken curry, beef tongue, and lamp chops. Of those 4 dishes, the lamp chops were actually the shining dish. They were pretty juicy and tender and not the least bit gamey to me, which is usually the case with lamb.
Conclusion: Worth a try but don’t expect amazing. Just try the lamp chops here.
p.s. Next time, can someone recommend me a delicious place for pork chop buns? I had a really disappointing experience with a local cafe….. (Sik Sun/Shi Shen)
3570 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV 89136
Better late than never – I went to Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill in the Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas last month to finally try out what this arrogant dood is all about. I dislike Bobby Flay for his arrogant attitude but his Mesa Grill was a very pleasant experience. Not that I doubted his skills as a chef, I just don’t like his TV personality, okay? 😉
1. WILD MUSHROOM QUESADILLA (White Bean Hummus + White Truffle Oil) – This was pretty cheese and truffletastic. Can’t really go wrong with that combination
2. TIGER SHRIMP + ROASTED GARLIC CORN TAMALE Corn-Cilantro Sauce – Great southwestern flavors!
3. GALA APPLE SALAD (Baby Spinach, Blue Cheese, Toasted Pecans +Spicy Orange Vinaigrette) – Great combo of sweet, salty and tangy.
4. SOUTHWESTERN SPICED DUCK BREAST (Carrot-Habanero Sauce Chorizo-Goat Cheese Tamale + Thyme Butter) – nice tender duck meat and great sauces. yum!
5. NEW MEXICAN SPICE RUBBED PORK TENDERLOIN Bourbon-Ancho Chile Sauce Sweet Potato Tamale + Crushed Pecan Butter – I found this dish to be kind of dry, but I am definitely biased. I tend to not like pork chops, tenderloins or any thick cut of non-bacon pork product.
Sorry that I’m missing a few pics…. missing some from my picture partner =P
Conclusion: Great twist and fusion of the southwest, mexican with asian. Worth another try.
Maybe I’ve been deprived of good chinese food in Las Vegas, in particular, chinese breakfast. I just had pretty decent porridge with fish balls and chicken in sticky rice (lui Mi ji/luo Mai gai). Also, the hot milk tea was so fragrant with the tea taste and creamy smooth from proper preparation that we did not need to add an sugar.
Conclusion: i love real chinese food! very satisfying and comforting albeit being couped up on the plane and airport for 24 hrs and counting….