nom nom nom nom nom! feed a fat rollie pollie kitteh a lot of sushi. ^_^* addicting? Yesh!
Stripsteak – a Michael Mina Restaurante
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
3950 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV 89119
I have mixed feelings about this place. For a place called Stripsteak, is it supposed to shine for the dishes that were non-Steak? I went shamalamadingdong over the duck fat fries and truffled mac and cheese, but how can our steaks that we made at home the following night shine over the Stripsteak steaks?! Huh? Allow me to illustrate….
1. Trio of Duck Fat Fries – These were mutha beepin’ good! Loved the bbq flavor fries. Loved the garlic flavor fries, and most of all, I mutha beepin’ loved the truffle fries. These blows Envy Steakhouse’s out of the water (not that ENVY had a chance with their truffle fries anyway). Let me just call these my Crack Fries.
2. Sashimi (albacore, bigeye, blue fin toro) – The worst decision ever. We were greedy and thought that “Hey, we’re at an expensive restaurant. It has to be good right?” Boy, were we wrong! The albacore was icy? WTF? The tuna was fishy. AND. AND! The toro was so fibrousy.
2. Bibb Wedge (Salad) – Standard blue cheese, iceberg and bacon. Yum.
3. American Kobe Ribeye – Good but not juicy. (Del Frisco’s and N9NE still win)
4. Slow Poached Prime Rib – Not juicy, not super tender. *tear
5. Truffled Macaroni and Cheese! – Another mutha beepin’ good one. Trufffleeee…. *pump fist.
Conclusion: I beepin’ loved the fries and mac n cheese. I will dream of them. However, the steaks, I will not have, again. I say save yourself the disappointment, don’t go to stripsteak and make it yourself.
p.s. This is the steak recipe we used to put Stripsteak to shame. Savory Garlic Marinade. Seared high on grill for 30-45 seconds each side. Turn grill to low heat and cover for 3 minutes each side. Perfect medium rare/rare steaks. Make sure to bring steaks to room temp before grillin’. Enjoy. Thank me later 😉
Dad’s Grilled Cheese [CLOSED]
5255 South Decatur Boulevard
Las Vegas NV 89118-4917
Maybe it wasn’t a bright idea to go after the superbowl where I gorged myself with as much pizza as I could possible stuff into my under-achieving stomach, but Brenda and I decided that we’d give a go. How can you turn down grilled cheese sammiches?!
Brenda ordered “The DJ” – other than the given of the toasty and chewy of cheese and toasted bread, the pastrami was nice and tangy. I actually liked this sandwich more than mine because of the tanginess.
I ordered “The Teacher” – normally this combination would win hands down. can’t really go wrong with bacon, fried egg and ooey gooey cheese, but The DJ won. I would’ve preferred my bacon crispier, but overall, pretty fatty and tasty. My side of curly fries were crispy and lightly seasoned. The key is that they stayed crispy.
Conclusion: Cheese lover’s unite and try it out. Don’t be afraid to get down and dirty.
Chang’s Hong Kong Cuisine
4670 South Decatur Boulevard
Las Vegas NV 89103
Chang’s is usually the go to for dim sum after Ping Pang Pong in the Gold Coast. This weekend it seriously disappointed with the siu mai (shrimp/pork dumpling), ha gow (shrimp dumpling) and my beloved flaky egg tarts but it saved itself with one of my fav’s – Fried rice noodles in XO sauce. The rice noodles themselves offer a great chewy texture, but when fried with XO sauce, it lends itself a good kick from the XO sauce and crispy, yet chewy texture. mmm mmmm
1.3.2013 – Update – Rio’s KJ’s is where it’s at for Dim Sum
Wow! What a fun concept. You get to fill a box with a variety of your favorite ramen. Sure, you can get your own cheap ramen at the local supermarket but this option is just fun! 🙂