5010 Newport Ave
San Diego, CA 92107
Hodad’s is burger heaven for me! Everything was perfectly executed. It was like having In-N-Out on ‘roids for the In-N-Out lovers! Apparently, all the stars were aligned for our trip. We got a parking spot right in front and walked right into immediately available seating!
Here are some tips to prep for your visit to Hodad’s
1. Go early on a weekday because by 12:30, the line was out the door. Or, GO SUPER EARLY, on the weekend because if the weekday crowd was already out the door, then I can’t imagine what the weekend crowd is like.
2. Order the “mini” (not really mini) burgers if you can’t stomach a full size one and add BACON.
3. Share a shake. They are delicious and there’s a LOT of it.
Onto the food!
1. Vanilla Shake – This was amazing! A huge scoop of creamy smooth vanilla ice cream was sitting on top of the metal cupful of milk shake. It is so thick and tasty that you have to eat it with a spoon. I’ll happily scoop away.
2. Onion Rings – The first two onion rings were tasty, but the onion itself came out with one bite. However, I think that the rest of them got scared and shaped up! They were crunchy and each bite came with a little onion at a time. Perfectly crunchy, salty and tasty.
3. Mini cheeseburger – Everything about this burger was fantastic. The lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles were refreshingly cold. The burger patty was not too thick; just the way I like it. There was mayo, mustard and ketchup to bind everything together with the mother of all BACON TOPPINGS – a mutha-beepin’ bacon patty! Strips of bacon pressed together and deep fried.
Now, let’s take a moment to imagine my bite of the burger – Toasty bun, meaty patty, melty cheese, tangy pickles and condiments, crunchy crisp vegetables and the smokey crunch of the deep fried bacon.
Conclusion: Burger heaven. No other place like it. 5/5 Beeps!
Tea Time Cafe
5590 Painted Mirage Road
Las Vegas, NV 89149
Neighborhoods: Northwest, Centennial
What are yakisoba style fries? Well here it is! Seaweed, Japanese mayo on crispy fries.
3823 30th St
(between North Park Way & University Ave)
San Diego, CA 92104
Neighborhood: North Park
It was a rainy, cold day and the perfect day for comfort food from Urban Solace. They serve what I would call fine dining comfort food. Dishes are enhance with fancy ingredients such as mac n cheese with Duck!
What we had
1. Cheese biscuits with Honey-Butter – cheesy, warm and toasty
2. Sonoma Goat Cheese/Butternut Squash Dip, Spiced Pine Nuts, Cornmeal Crackers and Baguettes – This was enjoyable, but the goat cheese came on a little strong after more bites.
3. Bacon Wrapped Sustainable Trout (Skin on), Mushroom-Spinach Stuffed, Brussels Hash, Lemon Butter – Bacon wrapped fish, what’s not to like. Delicate flakey fish with bacon!
4. New York White Cheddar Mac n’ Cheese, Caramelized Bacon, Grilled Red Onions, Charred Tomatoes – Perfectly cooked macaroni with ooey gooey cheese, bacon and some tangy tomatoes.
5. Duckaroni: Mac ‘n Cheese with Duck Confit, Blue Cheese, Roasted Garlic, Arugula, Scallion – Good ol’ mac n cheese enhance with many robust flavors… mmm mmm!
Conclusion: Come hungry, Leave happy and stuffed. 4/5 beeps.