Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar
1881 S. Kihei Road
Kihei, HI 96753
The high ratings on yelp brought us into this sushi/seafood joint. Looking at the crowd, the place seems very popular among some locals and a lot of tourists.
So here’s what we had:
1. Sansei’s dynamite shrimp – The server said that this was one like most popular appetizers. I can see why. It was similar walnut shrimp but with spicy kick and a dash if ponzu/teriyaki reduction sauce. Crunchy and fun to eat, but I think the shrimp pieces were on the smaller size.
2. Dk’s crab ramen with black truffle butter dashi – The piggy in me got sucked in by the words “truffle” and “award winning”. Do not get sucked in by that. The noodles were over done and wayyy soggy.
3. Chili porcini mushroom crusted filet of beef tenderloin – This was also overdone. We ordered medium rare and it was most definitely medium.
4. Panko crusted seabass – All I remember about this was the mediocre sauce.
5. Macadamia nut crusted Ono – I enjoyed the way they prepares this fish because it had a nice curry kick with the crust on it.
6. Fried macadamia nut icecream – very creamy icecream with crispy outside. I definitely appreciate it when the tempura batter is crispy rather than mushy.
Conclusion: I think most of the dishes had average flavor and preparation, but the appeal of the place comes from the social scene and fun sushi bar. 3.25/5 beeps.